[Note from Kari J. Kindem, CFHom]: I have treated many successful cases of adrenal fatigue in both women and men, with several remedies not listed in this article. There are many factors involved in selecting a constitutional remedy for someone with adrenal fatigue. An excellent book for understanding much more about Adrenal Fatigue is by Dr. James Wilson called “Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome”.A Guest Post by Dr. Neha Vijayakar (The Author)
- The adrenals get alerted about stressors and, in an initial bid, step up the secretion of Cortisol.
- Insulin-secreting cells of Pancreas also get affected resulting in fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
- THE BODY IS SUCCESSFUL IN COMPENSATING FOR THE INCREASED REQUIREMENT OF GLUCOSE
- Craving for foods high in carbs and fats like burgers, pizza, donuts and aerated drinks having high sugar content.
- Insomnia and irritability sets in.
- If Stressors persist, the Adrenals begin to feel the strain of working overtime. This time, it is extremely difficult to compensate for the demand of cortisol.
- The thyroid glands start misbehaving.
- The Adrenals now start giving up as they bow further down to pressure. Cortisol levels start declining.
- The body, in a desperate bid for energy, starts breaking down its own muscles for protein.
- The aim is now to survive using the body’s rapidly depleting resources.
- Blood pressure begins to fluctuate, digestion slows down and sexual drive diminishes.
1. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 15th Edition.
2. Oxford Textbook of Medicine
3. Introduction to Psychology
4. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica. William Boericke
5. Response to stress by adrenal hormones